While the world is going digital the risks associated with the use of the Internet are also emerging. One of the consistent threats is hacking using which unscrupulous intruders access the vital information from the hacked account and use them for unholy purposes. One of the most vulnerable areas is the social media accounts that get hacked more than others. It will be good to learn how social media accounts get hacked so that the account holders can take remedial measures.
Benefits of Learning How Social Media Accounts Get Hacked
Some of the major benefits of learning how social media accounts get hacked are as follows.
- You can reverse the process and regain control of your account if you are still able to log on to the hacked account.
- If you are not able to log on to the hacked account, then contact the social media customer care services to reset your password or account settings; and
- You can adopt methods to prevent future hacking by changing your style of using the Internet.
How Social Media Accounts Get Hacked
For preventing or undoing the hacking of the accounts you need to learn how the social media accounts get hacked.
- Account holder places a lot of information while creating the social media account and most of them are shared or made public on the web;
- Hackers prefer social media accounts because they offer more personal information in comparison to others.
- Many account holders do not know how to protect their information in the account; and
- Hackers take advantage of the ignorance of account holders to access and hack social media account using different methods.
Common Methods used by Hackers
Followings are the most common methods used by hackers for intruding on the social media accounts of the holders.
Phishing is an easy but effective method for hacking. Internet users ignorant about basic security techniques often become easy victims of hackers as there are considerable possibilities of hackers getting hold of your password. For this, the hacker will create a duplicate social media page, and once you login the personal information will become accessible. To prevent fishing you have to avoid logging on to the account from other devices and also avoid emails and messages giving a link to log on.
One of the easiest ways of hacking the KeyLogging is also very effective for hacking. Its features are as follows.
- It is a program that monitors your inputs online and maintains a record of all keys entered;
- It can easily send the information collected to hackers; and
- The majority of social media accounts get hacked using a method that is difficult to detect even by computer experts.
To prevent hacking by KeyLogging always scan a USB drive before using, use good antivirus software, and download software and apps from trusted sites only.
Man in the Middle
Hackers use this method to relay secretly and altering the communication between the victim and the server. Thus, the hacker gains control over the entire communication behind the back of the victim. It is called the Man in the Middle because the hacker intervenes in the regular conversation between the victim and the server. To prevent your account from being hacked with this method you should use VPN services, a good firewall system, and quality anti-virus. Also; you can use a proxy server to access the Internet.
Many social media accounts get hacked through this simple method. It involves –
- Collection of personal information of the targeted victim;
- The focus is on getting the date of birth, telephone number, and security questions; and
- Using the information the hacker can use the standard recovery methods to retrieve your passwords.
To prevent hacking of your social media account this way you should never share personal information using phone or email. You should also avoid using links from unknown senders.
When a user logs on to his or her social media account the server of such sites maintains a session for user authentication. These are recorded in the cookies of the browser used. Hackers try stealing these cookies to access the victim’s social media account. To prevent hacking of account in this manner it is advisable not using your social media account while using a shared Wi-Fi or LAN system. Also; clear cookies regularly and the best way is to clean them daily.
Hacking becomes easy when the hackers can view your saved passwords from the password manager feature of web browsers. Whatever passwords you have saved will become visible and then accessible for hacking. The best way of preventing hacking this way you should not save passwords in any web browser. Additional precautions include not sharing the device you use with others and blocking the device connectors.
Many social media accounts get hacked using this method by hackers. When the victim and the hacker are on the same network then the hacker can change the original social media page with a fake page getting easy access to the victim’s social media account. To prevent such hacking avoid cache and also manage the DNS servers in a secured manner.
A botnet is a network that is made with remote-controlled computers. The bots are usually infected with malware that is remote-controlled. However, the method is expensive and not used by many hackers as less expensive hacking methods are available. To prevent hacking of accounts by botnets use an effective firewall and keep software updated.
There may be other ways that work to hack social media. But these are some of the most commonly used methods by hackers. Learning how social media accounts get hacked can help you to make timely interventions preventing hacking of your social media account. Social media has become part of your daily life and there can be few Internet users that do not have a social media account that provides the best way to remain connected with others. However, some unscrupulous people try to harm the account holders through hacking and you have to be careful to prevent them.